Norrie Waite & Slater Solicitors

Norrie Waite & Slater Solicitors
Killamarsh office:
21-23 Bridge Street
S21 1AH

Contact: Emily Abbey
Telephone: 0800 334 5315

Geographical Regions Covered: Derbyshire
Legal aid: Yes
Mediation: Yes
Collaborative law: Yes
Disabled access: Yes
Special Initial Interview Offer: Free initial half hour interview, legal aid available

Head of Family team: Julie Reid
Family Team Members: Julie Reid, Hannah Throup, Linsey Duggan, Emily Abbey, Sarah Ewbank, Mark Breislin, Victoria Platten, Bradie Pell
Resolution members: Hannah Throup, Emily Abbey, Sarah Ewbank
Resolution areas of expertise: Domestic abuse, children law . disputes between parents or relatives
Specialist panel memberships: Children Panel
Other departments: Conveyancing, Criminal Defence, Child Care, Wills & Probate, Accident Claims, Litigation, Housing

About us

Norrie Waite & Slater solicitors have a team of highly experienced family solicitors based at our branches throughout Sheffield, Rotherham and Killamarsh.

We offer confidential, expert legal advice and sympathetic support, whatever difficulties you may be experiencing.

Whatever your financial circumstances, we can help. We offer a free initial consultation for all new clients and we can provide legal aid to cover your legal fees, for qualifying clients.

We offer advice on all areas of family law including:

  • Divorce
  • Separation (married and unmarried couples)
  • Child contact, child residence and child maintenance
  • Financial settlements
  • Domestic abuse

Our website contains extensive information on:

  • Grounds for divorce
  • Divorce frequently asked questions
  • Divorce and finances frequently asked questions
  • The cost of divorce
  • Legal aid for divorce and family matters
  • Unmarried fathers rights

We also offer advice on:

  • Pre-nuptial agreements
  • Collaborative law
  • Mediation
  • Unmarried couples / cohabitation agreements
  • Civil partnerships (dissolution and pre-partnership agreements)
  • Change of name

    Q&A on changing your name or changing your child's name.

    May 2012

    Solicitor Bradie Pell answers questions on how to legally go about changing yours or your child's name.

    Q. How do I change my name?

    A change of name is undertaken by way of a Deed (sometimes referred to as Deed Poll).  The new name chosen must be sensible and must not seek to defraud anyone.  We would be able to draw up the Deed for you and this would then need to be witnessed.

    Q. How long does a change of name take?

    We can usually offer a same day service.  Please contact our offices and we will be happy to provide you with a quotation and time estimate.

    Q. I want to change my name back to my maiden name, is this possible?

    Yes this is possible.  If you are separated from your spouse/civil partner, you can change your surname although we would suggest that you do not do this part way through and divorce/dissolution proceedings as it may cause complications with the documentation.

    If you are divorced or your partnership has been dissolved your surname does not automatically revert back to your maiden name and therefore if you wish to change this you would need to do so by way of Deed.

    Q. Do I need my child’s father’s/mother’s consent before changing their name?

    This wholly depends on whether the other party has Parental Responsibility.  Mothers always have Parental Responsibility for a child but this may not be the case with regards to the father – please see our section on Parental Responsibility to check this. 

    If the other parent does have Parental Responsibility you will need their consent.

    Q. Will you inform the relevant organisations that I have changed my name?

    No this is entirely your responsibility.  You will need to keep your change of name Deed with your birth certificate, as many organisations will require sight of both documents.

Top of Page